This grand home which torn down 1964-65, was the home of Samuel Shaw Lazier and his wife, Margaret. Though it looks much like Glanmore House, it predates Glanmore by three years.
Samuel Lazier, born July 8, 1840, Tyendinaga to parents, Richard Lazier and Anna Appleby. The long line of Laziers was respected Judges and Lawyers. Samuel called to the bar in 1864, married Margaret Robertson in 1865. They had no known children.
They traveled considerably all around the world. The British Isles being their favorite destination. Their position in society came invites to such events as the Queen's State Ball at Buckingham Palace by Hannah Primrose, Countess of Rosebery and other invites came from Lord Granville. Many of these prestigious affairs hosted by Queen Victoria herself, and later, King Edward VII.
Samuel Volunteered much of his time, having joined the 15th Battalion Argyle Light Infantry in 1865. He made Captain by 1866 and Lieutenant Colonel by 1876. Retired the Battalion in 1895, retaining his rank of Lieutenant Colonel. He also rose through the ranks of Free Masonry, having joined Moira Lodge #11 in 1864. By 1882 he became a Ramses Shrine. He held Grand Master in 1874 and 1875.
He became Master-In-Chancery for both Napanee and Belleville. While retaining these titles, became Deputy Registrar for Hastings and Prince Edward. In Belleville, he and his wife held with much esteem, members St.Andrews Church, with Lazier being chairman of Managers and his wife, President of the Ladies Aid Society.
Samuel commissioned his home on the corner of John and Hotel Street (Hotel later became Victoria Ave.) the year 1879, and it was finished by 1880. The property known as Kirklawn, was massive and the most significant private residence of its day. The home's architect and builder were James Smith. Woodley and Co did the brickwork. Thomas Gardner completed the plastering. Cut stone made by Thomas Cameron and Charles Smith installed the plumbing. The front portion of the house measured 56x56 feet and three stories high. The rear, 42x46 which housed the kitchen, scullery, and storage. Above the kitchen area were the quarters for the domestic help. The front main floor had ceilings eleven and a half feet high, within the front door is a vestibule measuring 11x5-1/2 feet, then follows a great hall measuring 11x28 feet. Drawing room on the right measured 21x34 feet. On the left is a sitting room measuring 16 feet square. Behind this room sits the library measuring 12x16 and a dining room measuring 15x24. Leading from the dining room and library is the Conservatory measuring 11x24. A 6-foot wide staircase led to the second floor, with an 11-foot full hall to the front of the house. On this level were many bedrooms, including the master bedroom measuring 24x21, On the top level were four large rooms, one which fitted as a billiard room. The rooms are corniced and supplied with beautiful centre pieces and panelled ceilings, lighted by gas and heated by hot water. The grandiose dwelling measured a staggering 13,000 square feet and at completion cost $6000.00
The Lazier's lived in this home for nearly fifty years until her death in 1922 and his, 1928. Samuel's cousin, Katherine Leach (widow) who lived with them for almost 30 years stayed in the home until her death in 1934. Shortly after, the estate was obtained by his nephew, Francis Stuart and divided into several apartments. He maintained and lived at this property until the 1950's when he then sold it to Donald Cowan. Donald and his wife only lived there a few short years. Run down and dilapidated, the Lazier Estate torn down to make room for the multi-story apartment building, Regency.
Sad to think that Belleville would allow such a grand place to be torn down, no matter what state of repair.
Above is a picture of the Lazier Dam circa 1906, which became a popular but dangerous swimming hole for us kids growing up.